Saturday, June 16, 2012

Green Thumb

Summer ~ time to get my hands dirty.  There is something about planting and tending a garden that always makes me feel inspired.  I don't have much of a green thumb, but luckily the annuals and perennials I like are not only beautiful, but also very easy to grow. 

First a trip to the home improvement store to get what I need: dirt, mulch, and of course flowers.  My favorite flowers for planting are red impatiens.  They are perfect for my shady front yard.  Then I am ready to start planting.  A few hours later....

   

Besides flowers, I like to use other things to decorate my garden, such as an antique seed planter and an old rusty wagon.  Over the summer I will post more pictures as my garden continues to change and grow. 


VOCABULARY

  • plant  to put in the ground for growing  (植える)
  • tend  -  to care for (世話をする)
  • inspired  -  energized, encouraged (気分が晴れる)
  • green thumb  -  talent for gardening (園芸の才能)
  • annuals  -  plants that live one season (毎年植える花)
  • perennials  -  plants that live more than one season (毎年育つ花)
  • mulch  -  organic ground cover put around plants (木屑)
  • shady  -  out of the sun (日陰の下)
  • decorate  -  trim, adorn(装飾する)
  • rusty  -  covered with rust (さびた)

______________________




Speaking of antiques and gardening, 
I found some old seed packets at an
antique show years ago.  I thought 
having them framed was a good way
to display them. 

                  

No comments:

Post a Comment